RE-JUST - Towards a more responsive victim-centred approach of the criminal justice system
The project „Towards a more responsive victim-centred approach of the criminal justice system (RE-JUST)“ has been running since January 2020. The 21 month-project is funded by the EU programme for justice and coordinated by the Pro Refugio association from Romania. Other project partners are the Centre for Democracy Research (CSD) (Bulgaria), SOLWODI Deutschland e.V., Dinamia S. Coop Mad (Spain) and the European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control (HEUNI) (Finland). The project starts with an analysis of the situation of victims during criminal proceedings and aims to develop strategies and action plans to give victims better access to justice. Since the criminal justice system usually focuses on the legal needs of the accused, victims are often overlooked. Dealing with the judicial system is a huge challenge for many victims. The project contributes to the shaping of an improved criminal justice system that focuses on the victims. Victims have a right to have their legal needs, rights and voice heard and respected in criminal proceedings. By targeting persons from the criminal justice sector, the project contributes to the efforts of the relevant institutions and organisations to achieve an improved victim-centred criminal justice system in compliance with European standards. The project will bring together various stakeholders from numerous European regions in order to facilitate a fruitful exchange of views and expertise.
The project's objectives are:
- Identification of promising practices in the criminal justice system
- Capacity building of key stakeholders in order to promote trauma-sensitive approaches in the criminal justice system
- Facilitating transnational cooperation and dialogue between EU Member States' stakeholders
Project activities are:
- Expert and stakeholder meetings, round tables and national and transnational conferences
- Identification of promising practices in the criminal justice system in 5 EU Member States
- The development of approaches/strategies for improved implementation of victims' rights, which will be integrated into a comprehensive action plan
For further information, we invite you to visit the project website: http://re-just.prorefugiu.eu/
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the SOLWODI staff member responsible for the project, Anja Wells:
Videos of the final conference
This project is funded by the EU Justice Programme. SOLWODI Deutschland e.V. is solely responsible for the contents and it can in no way be regarded as a view of the European Union.